Volunteers from: Spain and Lithuania
Number of volunteers: 2 volunteers (1 female and 1 male)
Project duration: 02.10.2017 – 01.04.2018
Application Deadline is on 18 August 2017 at 19.00 pm.
Bursa has a good number of young population over 650.000 – which is our target group – thanks to 2 state universities and 1 private university. So with all the opportunities Both the city and our organization offer, our both local an ınternatıonal volunteers work and participate in different areas according to their interests areas thanks to various activities varying from club activities, language and art related courses and workshops, to seminars and meetings from different interest areas.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Movement was founded in October 23rd 2009, in Bursa. Since then, we have been offering social and voluntary opportunities people from 15-30 (from high schools to young working adults) and with this age groups we organize projects, trainings and activities for various age groups ranging from children to old people. We offer them different training opportunities both in our country (local and national) and abroad (exchanges and trainings), and being a part of different projects; in organization they can always find a way to improve their skills and knowledge. We as the organization, care about the free, active youth participation, our organization is totaly organized and run by the volunteers without any link to any belief or political group, but with the coordination of Volunteer Movement team as facilitator. Volunteers will be working mainly in organization where we realize many of our activities which can be called the home of students.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Main Topics: Creativity and culture, Youth (participation, youth work, youth policy), Teaching and learning of foreign languages
- Volunteer will run the workshops and other activities with disabled young people with learning difficulties, down syndrome, autism, etc. in a special education vocational school and disabled centers (governmental institutions and organizations). Main activities will be held in these institutions and rest of the activities are flexible and changeable according to time, need and volunteer.
- To attend regular activities of the above-mentioned institutions as assistant,
- To take initiative in local club activities and participate in local workshops, meetings, seminars,
- To contribute evsinturkey.org page as a blogger and create info materials,
- To attend the On-Arrival Training and other trainings.
Besides all these, the volunteer is encouraged to come with new ideas, youth initiative, youth exchanges, or other kind of projects which can be suitable for hosting organization
Profile of the Volunteer:
- Profile of the Volunteer:
- to have former voluntary experience with disabled young people is preferred,
- to have former voluntary work experience is a must,
- to have high motivation in youth works,
- to be able to work in teams and also individually according to the task at hand with responsibility,
- to have interest and ability in our activity areas: art, sport, dance, handcraft, languages, intercultural learning, etc.
- to have solution oriented approach,
- to be open minded,
- to have interest in sustainability of community works,
- to be open to intercultural learning and have high motivation,
- to be open to learn and share knowledge/experience,
- to have high interest in Turkish language and culture,
- to be motivated to meet new people and cultures,
- to have basic knowledge of English is essential to have a more efficient volunteer work,
- to have basic knowledge on design programs is preferred,
- to be between 18-26 years old is preferred.
Accommodation & Public Transportation:
- They will be accommodated in a hosting family house.
- They will have a private room in the hosting family’s house and shared kitchen, bathroom and great room.
- If a vehicle is necessary to reach the office or project place, public travel card will be provided to the volunteer. The volunteer may come to work on foot/bicycle if the accommodation is in the neighborhood of the office.
- The volunteer will receive Turkish language support during the project. Language support will be given by a teacher who has experience in Turkish teaching to foreign people or by local volunteers.
- There will be organized training and support for the volunteer for each of their activities if the volunteer feels the need for it. First 1-2 weeks will be orientation week for the volunteers.
- Volunteer will also participate to the On-arrival and Mid-term training courses that are organized by Turkish National Agency.
- Volunteer will also have a mentor and mentor’s support during the whole project.
BURSA is a city in northwestern Turkey with over 2 million population. It is Turkey’s fourth largest city, as well as one of the most industrialized metropolitan centers in the country. The second important city for import in Turkey. Bursa is settled on the northwestern slopes of Mountain Uludağ which is an important ski resort in the southern Marmara Region and the Marmara sea is in the North.
The city is frequently cited as “Yeşil Bursa” (meaning “Green Bursa”) in a reference to the parks and gardens located across its urban structure, as well as to the vast forests in rich variety that extend in its surrounding region.
Thanks to being in the first capital of Ottoman Empire, it has rich historical and cultural heritage. The tombs of early Ottoman sultans are located in Bursa and the numerous edifices built throughout the Ottoman period constitute the city’s main landmarks. The surrounding fertile plain, its thermal baths, many interesting museums, a notably rich museum of archaeology, and a rather orderly urban growth are further principal elements that complete Bursa’s overall picture.
Karagöz and Hacivat shadow play characters were historic personalities who lived and are buried in Bursa. Bursa is also home to some of the most famous Turkish dishes, especially candied chestnuts and İskender Kebab. Its peaches are also famous. Among its depending district centers, historical İznik “Nicaea” is especially notable for its long history and important edifices.
Being strong in many areas such as industry, agriculture, tourism and culture and increasing its strength in these areas, the city has always been the center of attraction. Besides there are different kinds of transportation which make it easy to reach other parts of the city and different cities by ferries, buses, and planes.
VOLUNTEER is located in the city center of Bursa which offers lots of facilities and opportunities and a good and easy to reach working environment. Office is based in NGO’s Campus which is provided by local municipality; which has many facilities such as seminar/conference rooms, meeting rooms, exhibition area, etc. In addition to our office, we use other facilities offered by our local partners which we have project based collaboration. .
As we have different accreditations on different topics, project places differ. According to the task, volunteers will be working either in our office or the local partner organizations which we collaborate in EVS projects.
LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES in GENERAL
- As Bursa is a city which offers volunteers many different opportunities both by municipalities/state and private sector, they will have chances to participate many cultural and social activities, workshops, courses, trainings, seminars and meetings both free and paid.
- Bursa has a good number of young population – which is our target group – by 2 state universities and 1 private university. As it is a young friendly city, volunteers will have a chance to reach and be involved in many cultural and social events.
- They will be living in a foreign country and take their own responsibility, they will learn to adopt different environment, to manage their own budget, etc.
- They will have opportunities to teach mother tongue to local people which helps them understand and questioned their own language.
- They will have a chance to learn Turkish Language and Culture in real and natural environment and to see different parts of the country and have a direct contact with local community.
- They will be informed about non-formal teaching and learning techniques which are used as a main tool of implemented activities.
- They will have many opportunities to get or improve their skills which are highly related to Key Competences of YouthPass Learning Outcomes.
Number (1): Youth Work
Active Youth Participation is one of the key elements of the organization and naturally the activities of the project. Activities mainly focus on youth participation in many different aspects of life via various tools. With related activities, there would be more multicultural learning atmosphere and have a better understanding of European citizenship, active participation and fundamental rights. How these above would be achieved, thanks to some creative and art-sport related workshops, group activities, trainings, youth info sessions both in and outside.
Number (2): Social Inclusion
As Social Inclusion is a topic which has many different dimensions such as poverty, education, etnical background, disability, etc. volunteers will be in contact with especially students/young people with some disabilities/disadvantages. For integration the target group, one of the key concepts is principle of doing together. Volunteers will work not only with excluded groups but also other people to raise awareness on social inclusion by sharing the outcomes of our activities. How these above would be achieved, thanks to workshops, visual aids, social media, multimedia, blog and seminars.
VOLUNTEER PROFILE & RECRUITMENT PROCESS
- Ability to work in teams and also individually according to the task at hand,
- Interested in our activity areas,
- Motivated to meet new people and cultures,
- Interested in sustainable projects,
- Being open to learn and share knowledge,
- Basic knowledge of English is essential to have a more efficient volunteer work,
- The ones that have former voluntary work experience in related activities,
- Basic knowledge of using design programs is a preference but not a must or asset alone,
- Youngster with fewer opportunities will be given priority.
We aim to increase the awareness of the youth partcipation, active citizenship and social inclusion of young people. Because of these reasons, NGOs and social entreprises willing to colloborate in this issues will be our first choice. Of course, volunteers who have been already participated these organizations will be more welcomed as EVS volunteers.
For the application process, we would like to recieve the applications via the sending organizations who are the partners of the current project. We also recieve applications done by former partners, other organizations and Eurodesk network.
The fullfilled Europass CV and motivation letter are basic requirements to start the recruitment process. .A former volunteer activity is important, but not a must. Interested and highly motivated in Turkish culture, and desire to work in Turkey is preferable. As having fewer opportunity is one of the priorities for Erasmus+, young people in this circumstances will have a priority. After the applications of volunteers, we will hold a skype meeting in order to make the last decisions with the partners.
Candidates can send their applications any period during the year. Activity date of the project’s generally starts 2-5 months after the selection of the volunteers.
How to apply
Building Bridges members and/or long term unemployed (proved by scanned document) will have preference to this volunteer service.
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the coming weeks.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– Europass CV with picture (made in the last month) with skype name included
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one. The volunteer is chosen according to his/her motivation and interest to the project and to the activities. It will be paid special attention to cover letters.
Remember to write in the motivation letter that your sending institution is “Asociación Building Bridges”.
All documents written in English you can attach below with subject: “EVS Turkey Sertac Vol. for Inclusion. YOUR NAME. YOUR SURNAME” to asociacionbbARROBAgmail.com