Te traemos una nueva oportunidad de voluntariado europeo en la capital de Lituania para trabajar en una casa de asistencia social para personas mayores.
01.09. 2016 – 01.07. 2017 (9 months)
Special social care home “Tremtinių namai” is a modern institution the purpose of which is organization to assure the long-term social care of fully or partially dependent elderly people and to ensure secure and dignified aging. Preference to be accommodated is given to the exiles.
Exiles are Lithuanians who were forcefully repatriated to labour camps and Gulags (prison camps) in Siberia by Soviet government. At the moment we have 80 people, aged 66-100. “Tremtinių namai” is located in Vilnius city in a peaceful place surrounded by a beautiful forest and the river Neris, you can reach it with a public transport. “Tremtiniu Namai” maintains an active bond with the local community: with a centre for Art and Education as well as with the people living in the surrounding area. Our target groups are elderly with dementia and elderly who have physical disabilities. We have special daily activities for elderly with dementia such as listening to the music from their past, watching funny movies, reading out loud poetry, playing dominoes, singing old folk songs, putting a puzzle together, coloring pictures, exercising. Social workers offer other different activities for elderly without dementia too: participating in our care house Choir activity, Literacy and Classical music club. We often attain professional musicians, actors, poets, folk artists wishing to perform at our home.
The volunteers will be given the opportunity to learn about the specifications of the work with tasks for the elderly people. The main role of the volunteers will be an assistance for the elderly who have dementia and/or physical disabilities. They will improve communication, social skills as well as they will become better at understanding gestures and facial expressions, identifying and recognizing the feelings of others, demonstrating empathy, decoding body language, determining appropriate behaviour for different social situations. They will learn how to bond and react in an appropriate way to the need of a disabled person in spite of the verbal barrier.
Tasks and activities
To help a client with personal hygiene (such as washing a client’s face, helping to brush teeth), to go for a walk with a client (if a client has limited mobility – organize walk with a wheelchair), to help a client to dress and undress, to assist a client with eating, drinking, to help a social worker to organize an everyday activities, to help a social worker to organize celebrations, events, to help physiotherapist to organize the North Walking activity, to help physiotherapist to organize the physiotherapy exercises.
– willingness to develop a bond in spite of a verbal barrier, patience, equal attentiveness towards each and every one, initiative (willingness to do something, bringing up new ideas);
– positive attitude towards the work, concentration on the process rather than the result;
– ability to do things slow, working according to the persons timing, team working skills;
– ability to withstand smells and physiological fluids.
How to apply
Building Bridges members and/or long term unemployed (proved by scanned document) will have preference to this volunteer service.
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the coming weeks.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– Europass CV with picture (made in the last month) with skype name included
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one. The volunteer is chosen according to his/her motivation and interest to the project and to the activities. It will be paid special attention to cover letters. Remember to write in the motivation letter that your sending institution is “Asociación Building Bridges”.
Please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 16.03.2016 with subject“EVS_Vilnius.YOUR NAME.YOUR SURNAME”