You will be assigned in one of 4 project locations: Balș, Segarcea, Bailesti, Filiasi, Dolj county, South West part of Romania.
01.09.2016 – 01.03.2017 (6 months)
The volunteers of the Global Village Project will be directly involved in the planning, organization and implementation of activities that build up towards a big inter-cultural event(The Global Village event) that will expose the citizens to the other cultures. The project consists of a 6 months long group EVS that reunites 16 volunteers distributed in teams of 4 across 4 communities with the objective of developing activities that rise awareness on other cultures, spur inter-cultural learning and cultural discovery by intergenerational dialogue while fighting discrimination, stereotypes and stimulating tolerance and understanding of both the target group and the volunteers.
As a volunteer in the Global Village you will be directly involved in the organization of nonformal activities that directly contribute to the achievement of the general objective of the project.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE. The general objective of the project aims towards fighting discrimination, xenophobia and stereotypes and stimulating tolerance and understanding of both the target group and the volunteers by rising awareness on other cultures, spurring intercultural learning and cultural discovery.
Tasks and activities
The project is structured in 5 phases:
A1. Preparation, Adaptation and Training programme – 1 month – this is designed to transmit to the volunteer all the theoretical and practical knowledge about the project and prepare them for the rest of the project. The PAT has 3 parts: 1. A 5 day training that will focus and getting to know each other, team building, and familiarizing with project activities, technical details and rules within the organisation 2. 2 weeks in which, assisted by the mentor, the project staff and resource person from the community, you will get to know the community, know the youth you will be TL;DR – This is a long read, here is the shortest possible version: You will be a volunteer and work with high school students for 6 months in 4 small cities in South West of Romania. Your activities will be aimed sharing your culture and learning about Romanian culture. All expenses are covered by us and you will learn a lot and have lots of fun. working with, the institutions that will help them and generally get an idea of how the working environment is and what are the challenges and opportunities 3. The last part of the a 3 day workshop where we plan the rest of the project and set up the activity calendar in detail
A2. Cultural blending phase – 2 months In this phase each volunteer will start country presentations and cultural presentation for youngsters from the community. The main target group will be students from the local schools but any person from the community can join. The aim is to transmit as much information about the volunteer’s country to the target group with focus on culture and traditions but also including history, geography, lifestyle etc using non-formal methods in an informal setting
A3.»United in Diversity – My culture, your culture in the Context of the EU” phase -2 months This phase will be dedicated to community wide engagement in workshops, debates and public hearings on the issue nationalism and europeanism, how national identity and culture mix with the EU culture and identity, how is the individual going to handle this duality and what it means for the future of the EU. The activities will engage different stakeholders such as students, teachers, parents, local governments officials and citizens.
A4. Documenting Romanian culture and tradition discovery phase. – 1 month, same implementation time as phase 2 In this phase the volunteers will be involved in making a video documentary of the Romanian culture. The activity will involve Romanian youth that the volunteers worked with in the previous phase and will travel also in other villages around their community to witness and document traditions, folklore etc. The activity will have a strong intergenerational dialogue component to it as the documentation will focus on the elderly who still know the meaning of different traditions and can explain them to the youth. This way the project aims to foster intergenerational dialogue and transmission of tradition and folklore between generations.
A5. The Global Village Festival – final month The project will aim at making an intercultural event to show off each participant’s country and culture in the biggest city of the region (Craiova). The event will consist of setting up country stands with information, food, brochures, pictures, posters hand-made stuff that represent each country and the volunteers performing dances, songs or presenting on stage their country. The volunteers will include in their show youngsters from the community where they work so a big part of the project will focus on teaching dances, songs, specific handicrafts, traditional costumes manufacturing, to the youngsters from the community where they will work so that these youth will also be part of the show.
– Aged between 18 to 30 years
– Volunteers need to have a genuine interest in learning to work with young people, non-formal activities, interculturality, traditions and cultural customs and other similar topics and be willing to learn and expand their skills on these issues. This will consist the main selection criteria for the project
– Active, open-minded, creative, innovative, responsible and motivated volunteers. Pro-active attitudes and dynamic persons are welcomed, able to work in multicultural teams, tolerant and open-minded.
– Any experience and/or educations in non-formal education and animation skills and artistic competences (basic, not professional) will be a plus so be sure to mention them in your CV/motivation letter. (However this is not a main selection criteria).
– The volunteers of this project should, above all else, show willingness to learn and see their EVS experience as a learning process.
– Basic level of English (being able to make herself/himself understood by the others – able to communicate).
How to apply
We will study carefully all application and selected candidates will be invite for Skype interview. The selection of volunteers will take place in the coming weeks.
For the selection of the volunteers we will need:
– Europass CV with picture (made in the last month) with skype name included
– Motivational letter, writing that your sending organisation will be “Building Bridges”. We ask all candidates to send a specific letter of motivation – why they want to volunteer with us rather than just a general EVS one. The volunteer is chosen according to his/her motivation and interest to the project and to the activities. It will be paid special attention to cover letters. Remember to write in the motivation letter that your sending institution is “Asociación Building Bridges”.
Please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 15.08.2016 with subject “EVS_Rumanía.YOUR NAME.YOUR SURNAME”